Wanting to give your dog everything their little canine heart desires is common among dog owners.
There are so many ways to care for your dog that will keep them happy and healthy that you must consider. If you can’t do these things, you may want to reconsider getting a dog until you can.
A happy and healthy pup makes for a great companion.
Here are 5 ways you can take better care of your dog.
Maintaining a clean and safe environment for your pet
Keeping your dog safe and clean is important to have a happy and healthy dog. They must feel safe in their home and have a safe space to rest and hide if they are frightened.
Keeping your home clean can be as simple as organizing certain stations around your home for your pet, like a feeding station, a grooming station, and somewhere for them to sleep. It doesn’t have to be elaborate but well maintained and tidy.
If your dog is not potty trained, it would be a good idea to work on that and clean up any accidents that your dog may have as soon as they happen.
Maintain a healthy weight and nutrition for your pet
It is important to know how much exercise your dog needs to be healthy; every breed is different. It’s also important to know the optimal diet for your dog and try to stick to it as closely as possible. For the most part, a high-quality kibble will provide your dog with all its nutritional needs. You can give your dog some lower-calorie vegetables if you want alongside their kibble, things like green beans and pumpkin.
Investing in a slow feeder dog bowl for your dog is fantastic to help stop them from gobbling up their food quickly. A slow feeding will result in better digestion for your dog and decrease the chances of them bloating, vomiting after eating, and becoming overweight.
Their irritated noses, gums, or tongues can be stimulated by it. He is also able to make use of his instinctive sense of animal instinct.
Exercise and social interaction are essential for your pet
Exercising with your dog is a must. You need to be committed to at least one walk a day, and if your dog is a high-energy breed, you may need to take them out for several walks. Having a fenced-in backyard is great, but it is not the same as going for a walk.
Taking your dog for walks everyday gives them a chance to smell new smells, meet new friends, and engage in mental stimulation.
Socializing your dog is also really important and tightly tied to exercising your dog. If your dog is not properly socialized and exercised, you will have a fearful, bored, and possibly overweight dog on your hands.
A great way to incorporate exercise, social interaction, and mental stimulation into your dog’s life is to visit a dog park regularly and let them play with other dogs.
You should groom your pet on a regular basis
Grooming your dog has so many benefits beyond a lustrous coat and manicured nails. Grooming serves many purposes for your dog’s overall well-being, including:
- Reduces shedding. You cannot get rid of all the fur your dog sheds, but regularly brushing your dog will cut down drastically on the fur that ends up on your floor and furniture.
- Stimulates oil production. Brushing your dog regularly will stimulate their oil glands to produce oil and make their fur soft and lush.
- Foot protection. Your dogs’ paws are prone to becoming cracked and becoming home to dirt, grime, and bacteria. If your dogs’ paws are not groomed regularly, they may become painful and swollen.
- Enforces positive behaviour. Every time you groom your dog, be sure to give lots of praise, and doing this will help to strengthen your bond and enforce positive behaviour.
- Early detection. Grooming your dog regularly gives you a chance to check them for any abnormalities and resolve them before they become a bigger problem.
Make sure your pet gets regular health checks
Regular health checks give you and your dog the best chance of detecting and successfully treating a problem early. A full examination will let the vet get a closer look at your dog and notice any issues in its early stages.
A couple of good reasons to get your dog a regular health check:
- Early detection. There is nothing that increases the odds of your pet overcoming an illness than early detection. Whether they need surgery, medication, or a change in their diet, the earlier it is done, the more likely they will go on to live a long, fulfilling life.
- Preventative treatment. There are various vaccines and treatments available to prevent pests from making your pet their home. Investing in some preventive treatment can save you a lot of money down the road and your dog unnecessary suffering.
- Peace of mind for you. Knowing that you are doing the best steps possible to prevent and detect early any problems your dog may be facing will give you peace of mind and save you a lot of money in vet bills and treatments down the road.
Having a dog in your life requires a certain level of commitment and responsibility on your part. Ensuring that you are meeting all your dog’s needs and taking the very best care of them will, in turn, give you a very loyal and happy dog by your side.